James Kapustiak, MD, FACS
Specialist in Eyelid, Tear Duct, and Orbital Surgery
- Partner, Arbor Centers for EyeCare
James Kapustiak, M.D., FACS has been in the private practice of ophthalmology since 1986. Prior to becoming a partner at Arbor Centers for EyeCare, he worked with Frank Guastella, M.D. at Southwest Ophthalmology. Dr. Kapustiak has a subspecialty focus on the medical and surgical management of eyelid, tear duct and orbital disease.
Over the years he has spent time on the faculty of The University of Chicago and The University of Illinois educating residents and medical school students. His mentees have honored him with multiple teaching awards for his efforts. He currently is on the voluntary staff of Stroger Hospital of Cook County educating residents on the medical and surgical treatment of eyelid, tear duct and orbital conditions.
Dr. Kapustiak has been described by those he’s trained as “humble, caring and brilliant”. His patients appreciate his “kind demeanor”, “gentle touch”, and “desire to do the right thing”.
Dr. Kapustiak is a member of the American Medical Association and the Illinois State Medical Society. He is a fellow of the American Academy of Ophthalmology, the American College of Surgeons and the American Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons. He has been certified by the American Board of Ophthalmology since 1986 and is a member and past president of the Illinois Association of Ophthalmology.
Dr. Kapustiak is married to his wife Beverly and they have two children, Jessica and Thaddeus.
- Medical School: Loyola University, 1978-81
- Medicine Internship: Henry Ford Hospital, 1981-82
- Ophthalmology Residency: Wills Eye Hospital, 1982-85
- Fellowship in Eyelid, Orbit and Tear Duct Surgery : University of Michigan, 1985-86
- Board Certification: American Board of Ophthalmology, 1986 - present
Current Professional Memberships and Leadership Positions
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- American College of Surgeons
- American Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- American Medical Association
- Illinois State Medical Society
- Illinois Association of Ophthalmology
- Chicago Ophthalmological Society
Honors and Awards
- Illinois Association of Ophthalmology, President, 2008 - 2010
- The University of Chicago, Ophthalmology Outstanding Teacher of the Year, 2007
- The University of Chicago, Ophthalmology Outstanding Teacher of the Year, 2004
- The University of Chicago, Ophthalmology Attending of the Year, 2001
Clinical and Surgical Interests
- Surgery of the eyelids, tear ducts and orbit; thyroid eye disease; blepharospasm