Shivan Tekwani, MD
Specialist in Medical Retina and Vitreous and Comprehensive Ophthalmology
- Partner, Arbor Centers for EyeCare
- Assistant Clinical Professor, Department of Ophthalmology, Loyola University Medical Center and Stritch School of Medicine
Shivan Tekwani, M.D. is a medical retina and vitreous specialist and comprehensive ophthalmologist at Arbor Centers for EyeCare. His interests include the diagnosis and treatment of macular degeneration, diabetic eye disease, and cataract surgery. Dr. Tekwani enjoys educating his patients about how their general health affects their eyes.
After growing up in St. Louis, Missouri, the son of an ophthalmologist, Dr. Tekwani attended Stanford University where he explored everything from biology to windsurfing. He then returned to the Midwest to study medicine at Rush Medical College in Chicago, where his interest in ophthalmology and retinal diseases grew. He met and married his wife, Karis, in medical school and together now have three beautiful children.
Dr. Tekwani was selected as the Chief Resident during his senior year of ophthalmology residency at the Loyola University Medical Center and the Hines V.A. in Chicago. Following his advanced training in medical retina, he joined Arbor Centers for EyeCare in 2011.
Dr. Tekwani is described by his colleagues as a doctor with a kind demeanor and clear “thought process” about doctoring and the importance of outstanding patient care. Coming from a strong medical background, he maintains a solid understanding of the business of medicine and the many non-medical factors that affect our patients and practice daily.
In addition to working at Arbor, Dr. Tekwani devotes his time teaching residents and medical students at the Loyola University Medical Center and the Hines V.A. as Clinical Assistant Professor in the Department of Ophthalmology. He values the education he received and enjoys being able to share his knowledge with patients and future physicians.
In his free time, Dr. Tekwani enjoys spending time with his family, cooking, movies, golfing, and being a sports nut.
- College: Stanford University
- Medical School: Rush Medical College, Chicago
- Medicine Internship: MacNeal Hospital, Berwyn, Illinois
- Ophthalmology Residency: Loyola University Medical Center & Hines Veteran Affairs
- Ophthalmology Chief Resident: Loyola University Medical Center & Hines Veteran Affairs
- Medical Retina Fellowship: University of Kentucky & Retina Associates of Kentucky
Current Professional Memberships and Leadership Positions
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Illinois Association of Ophthalmology
- Chicago Ophthalmological Society
Honors and Awards
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society
- Arnold P. Gold Foundation Humanism Honor Society
Clinical and Surgical Interests
- Diabetic retinopathy
- Retinal vascular diseases
- Macular degeneration
- Comprehensive ophthalmology