Chris Albanis, MD
Comprehensive Ophthalmologist and Refractive Surgeon
- Chief Medical Officer, Ocular Partners, Inc.
- President, Arbor Centers for EyeCare
- Clinical Associate, The University of Chicago
- Chairperson, Advocate Christ Medical Center, Department of Ophthalmology
Chris Albanis, M.D. is a comprehensive ophthalmologist and refractive surgeon at Arbor Centers for EyeCare. She has a passion for teaching her patients and their families about their eyes.
Her interest in medicine developed at a young age while admiring her dad, a practicing Pediatrician, and his commitment to patients. Dr. Albanis completed her training at The University of Chicago. In addition to studying, many sparks started flying there, including developing a strong interest in leadership, questioning the norms of healthcare delivery and public policy, and meeting her husband, Greg. Upon graduation from residency, she joined Arbor Centers for EyeCare in 2004.
When asked, “Why ophthalmology?” she responds: “I have a passion for all things visual. I love people-watching, natural beauty, art, and seeing this beautiful world we live in. What motivates me daily is the ability to give the gift of sight (or help prevent its loss).”
Dr. Albanis enjoys educating her patients, their families and future generations of doctors. She teaches residents at The University of Chicago as a Clinical Assistant in the Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Science. Her pleasure in teaching extends to her colleagues, which has earned her several invitations to lecture on various ocular diseases nationally and internationally. Dr. Albanis has authored many publications and presents at research meetings – focusing on outcomes studies.
Dr. Albanis serves in many leadership roles with the Illinois Society of Eye Physicians and Surgeons and the American Academy of Ophthalmology, where she advocates for the needs of doctors and patients of Illinois. Further she hopes to encourage interest amongst the younger generation of doctors on the importance of understanding their role in our healthcare system.
In addition to caring for her patients, Dr. Albanis enjoys sailing, dancing, photography, and painting. Dr. Albanis is fluent in Greek, and speaks conversational Spanish.
- College: The University of Chicago, 1992-1996
- Medical School: The University of Chicago, 1996-2000
- Medicine Internship: Good Samaritan Hospital, AZ, 2000-2001
- Ophthalmology Residency: The University of Chicago, 2001-2004
- Ophthalmology Chief Resident: The University of Chicago, 2003-2004
- Board Certification: American Board of Ophthalmology, 2006-present
Current Professional Memberships and Leadership Positions
- Chairperson, Advocate Christ Medical Center, Department of Ophthalmology, 2015-present
- Illinois Association of Ophthalmology, President, 2010-2014
- American Academy of Ophthalmology, Secretariat for State Affairs, 2012-present
- Chicago Ophthalmological Society, President-elect, 2015
- Magna Surgical Center, Board Member
- University of Chicago Alumni Council, Senator
- University of Chicago Medicine on the Midway, Alumni Editor
- American Academy of Ophthalmic Executives
- Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology
- American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery
- American Society of Ophthalmic Administrators
- American Medical Association
- Illinois State Medical Society
Honors and Awards
- American Academy of Ophthalmology, Leadership Development Program, 2008
- The University of Chicago, Ophthalmology Outstanding Teacher of the Year, 2006
- The University of Chicago, Klein Outstanding Patient Care Award, 2004
Clinical and Surgical Interests
- Comprehensive ophthalmology
- Cataract surgery
- Laser refractive cataract surgery
- LASIK surgery
- Diabetic eye examinations
- Dry eye